Koh Phangan is located in the central part of the Gulf of Siam, as a district island in Suratthani province. Koh Phangan covers an area of 168 sqm with over 70% as mountains and tropical forest. It is about 100 kilometers from Suratthani mainland or just 20 kilometers from Koh Samui.
Ko Pha Ngan (or Koh Phangan, Thai: เกาะพะงัน, RTGS: Ko Pha-ngan, is an island in the Gulf of Thailand in South East Thailand. It is famous for its full moon party at Haad Rin Beach and as a backpackers destination. Ko Pha Ngan has two sister islands: the larger Ko Samui to the south and the smaller Ko Tao to the north.
- Area: about 168 km
- Estimated perimeter: 50 km EST. (10hrs average walking time)
- Province: Surat Thani
- From mainland: about 55 km
- From Ko Samui: about 15 km
- From Ko Tao: about 35 km
- Population: 11,846 (2004)
- Main town: Thong Sala
- Highest Point: Khao Ra, 630m asl.